How to apply for affordable housing in Virginia?
The complexity of a moving process is no news. When you add the unfavorable financial circumstances, you get a great problem and a severe headache for the whole family. Luckily, there are some strategies to make life a bit less harsh on you. Here we come to the decision to apply for affordable housing in Virginia. How should you do that? We will provide the answer.
Programs to choose from when you want to apply for affordable housing in Virginia
Living in one of the best Virginia cities for families despite financial difficulties isn’t impossible if you apply for affordable housing. However, the first thing you need to do is actually explore your options thoroughly. Furthermore, not everybody can apply. Thus, it is important to understand the terms and eligibility criteria you need to meet to be entitled to housing assistance.
The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) helps people with low-income, elderly population, or people with disabilities to get rental housing at a very favorable price. The options are the following:
- Subsidized Housing – Landlords get subsidies from the government in order to lower their rents and make their properties affordable for low-income tenants, seniors or the disabled.
- Public Housing Program – A public housing agency in a particular state provides low-income tenants, seniors and the disabled with affordable rental housing.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program – Candidates find the housing themselves. For example, if moving to Baltimore is what they want, they explore their options there. Then, the government gives them vouchers that should cover the whole or most of the rent if they qualify.
General things to know when you want to apply for affordable housing in Virginia
Despite the program you decide to apply for, there are a couple of things you have to be aware of:
- Firstly, the demand for affordable housing is much bigger than the available resources. This means that you will have to be patient and prepared to wait. Before you start looking for local or long distance movers Virginia, make sure this aspect of your move is handled successfully.
- Secondly, each state or even a city has its own regulations concerning affordable housing. This further means that if you qualify for cheap housing in one state, it doesn’t necessarily mean it would be the case in some other state as well. Consequently, contact the public housing agency (PHA) in Virginia and check the terms.
If you choose to apply for subsidized housing, you should go to the local rental management office and there you will get the instructions. To be eligible for this program, these are the criteria you need to meet:
- Your income must be within the income limit set for the location you want to live in. Also, the size of your family is an important factor too.
- You might get information on the requirements of the property owner. These should also be met, but they differ from one owner to another.
Public Housing Program
When you want to apply for affordable housing in Virginia, the public housing program offers numerous options. The types of housing available are of various sizes and types.
Who is eligible for the Public Housing Program?
When you visit your local PHA, they will consider the following factors and decide whether you are eligible or not:
- Firstly, they will check your annual gross income. It has to be up to 80% of the median income in the area you want to live in.
- Secondly, they will have to put you into one of the categories – a low-income family, seniors or a person with a disability.
- Thirdly, a US citizenship is a must, or you need eligible immigration status.
- Finally, there are some other local factors included.
How to apply for Public Housing Program?
To start with, contact your PHA and here is what they will probably ask you to do:
- Fill out a written application.
- Provide the names, date of birth, sex and the relationship with all the family members who will be living with you.
- Provide your current phone number and address.
- Explain circumstances or family characteristics that qualify you for this program.
- Prove your suitability as a tenant by providing contact information of your previous landlords.
- Explain the sources of your income and provide a family’s income estimate for the next 12 months.
The PHA will have to verify all the information and the documents you provide.
How to get information on the status of your application?
You will get a written note concerning this. If you are eligible, you will be put on the waiting list. The PHA will contact you when your turn comes.
Housing Choice Voucher Program
This program is yet another option if you want to apply for affordable housing in Virginia. It enables you to find the housing you want. You pay up to 30% of your family’s monthly income for rent and utilities. The government provides you with a voucher that compensates for the remainder of the costs. However, you still have to pay a security deposit, application fees if necessary and moving expenses. Considering DIY move or hiring movers will then be another dilemma you will have to face.
Who is eligible for the House Choice Voucher Program?
Again, you will have to contact the local PHA and they will decide whether you meet the necessary requirements. The requirements are the same as the above-listed requirements for the Public Housing Program.
How to apply for the House Choice Voucher Program?
Contact the local PHA for this matter, fill out a written form and the PHA will do the necessary check. They will:
- Collect information on your family, assets, and income.
- Contact your employer and the bank to verify the information. Then, they will decide whether you qualify for the housing assistance and to which extent.
- Check whether your moderately-priced rental housing meets the safety and health standards. In case you have too many things for your new place, think about other solutions. Storage Baltimore sounds perfectly well.
How to get information on the status of your application?
If you meet the requirements, your name will be put on the waiting list. Once it is your turn, the PHA will contact you. So, for all those who apply for affordable housing in Virginia, this is the end of the adventure.