How to move furniture across country?
Moving is stressful. You have to leave your old house, city, sometimes even a state. Then, you have to gather all the packing supplies, find a reliable moving company, while working and taking care of your family, pets, and so on. However, the situation is even more stressful if you need to move furniture across the country. You probably have a headache just thinking about it. For this reason, you should make a good plan. If you do not know how to do it, then read this guide. With a solid and well-prepared plan, you will successfully relocate your furniture across the country.
Hiring movers or not to move furniture across the country?
Moving furniture across the country is expensive. Generally, a long-distance move is expensive. The average cost of an interstate move is around $4,300. Of course, this price varies according to distance, the weight of your boxes, and so on. If you want to avoid a DIY move, then start looking for reliable movers. You can ask your friends and family for recommendations. In addition to this, you can search on the Internet. Make sure to read moving reviews in order to avoid hiring fraudulent movers. Furthermore, you can check if your potential moving company has a license issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Association or the FMSCA for short. To be completely safe, visit the official website of the BBB to check the track records. Lastly, do not forget to ask questions about all the aspects of your move that you do not understand.
Make a plan
When you need to move furniture across the country, you have to have a plan. For this reason, start planning several months in advance. Check your options. If you believe hiring movers is too expensive, then organize a move on your own. It might sound impossible, especially you are preparing for a long-distance move, but it can be quite simple. First, call your friends and family. You still need help, especially for moving your furniture. In addition to this, start measuring your doorframes, windows, elevator doors if you live in the building to see if your furniture can pass through. Furthermore, gather all the packing supplies. These include dozens of moving boxes, wrapping material, tape, labels, moving blankets for larger pieces, and so on. You can find most of these packing supplies for cheap or even for free.
Move furniture across the country – options
Here are some available options if you do not want to hire any of the long distance movers Baltimore.
- A portable moving container – Renting a portable moving container is cheaper than professional moving services. In addition to this, you can use the same container as a storage for some time even after the move. Renting one such container anywhere between $2,000 to $3,000 per month.
- Rent a moving truck – renting a moving truck is a good solution too. You can either drive the truck yourself or hire someone to do it. It will be cheaper than moving services in both cases.
- Have your company to pay for the move – if you are moving for work, ask your company to pay for the moving costs.
- Use a freight trailer – a company will give you a trailer to load and then they will pick it up and drive it to your home.
Even more moving tips
When you are moving furniture across the country, you should pay attention to the next details.
- Pick the best moving date – the date of your move affects the cost of your relocation. For this reason, avoid hiring movers Ellicott City MD during the summer months.
- Ship your items/furniture – if you need to move quickly and you do not have enough time to move your furniture, ship it.
- Hire moving labor – you have the option of hiring people to load and unload your truck. In addition to this, these labor services can include junk removal, pickups, and packing. This choice can save you thousands of dollars.
- Friends and family – even though friends and family are already mentioned, it does not hurt to mention them again as they are extremely valuable. Their help will mean a lot to you when you are moving. Therefore, treat them after with some nice dinner.
Move furniture across the county with the proper equipment
Furniture is usually heavy. For this reason, you should not try to lift and carry heavy items on your own, but rather, get the proper equipment. These include plastic sliders, straps, and dollies. Once you have everything that you need, it is time to prepare your furniture. First, clean everything. While cleaning, make sure to leave your drawers empty. In addition to this, it is important not to leave your furniture wet. After this, it is time to disassemble furniture. You can find tutorials on the Internet or read manuals. It is much better to move your furniture in pieces rather than in one piece. Once you start disassembling, put smaller pieces, such as bolts and screws into plastic bags and make sure to label them. This way, you will know how to reassemble them once you move into your new home.
The last important step of moving your items
When you are lifting your furniture, carry the weight on your legs, not on your back. These means do not bend over, but rather, squat down. Clear the path so you will not run into some boxes. You can trip and injure yourself or damage your house and items. In addition to this, you should use a dolly instead of carrying heavy furniture. Next, makes sure to park the truck close. Have your friends and family to help you. If you live in the building, reserve a parking space for the moving truck and elevator. You should also notify your neighbors. If you need to use the stairs, be extremely careful. It would be wise to hire movers if you live in the building. You can always ask for discounts since you are moving furniture after all.