How to prepare your kids for a move to Virginia
It is not easy to move. You have to leave your familiar surroundings, home, neighborhood, and even family and friends. In addition to this, you have to search for reliable long distance movers Virginia, make a packing schedule, completing all the tasks on the said schedule, and so on. This is all mentally and physically exhausting. However, relocation becomes even more difficult when you are moving with children. For this reason, it is important to prepare your kids for a move to Virginia. Keep reading to find out how to achieve this.
The decision to move to Virginia
Sometimes, you are forced to move to Virginia for a better job opportunity, schools, family situation, and so on. This means that the decision is out of your hands. However, this decision will also affect your children as well. Even if you are not happy about your upcoming move, you should not show it in front of your children. In addition to this, you should explain to your children the reason behind the move. You should focus on the positive aspect of the relocation. In addition to this, you should prepare yourself for outbursts. Some kids will not take well the news about the relocation as they do not want to transfer school and leave their friends behind. For this reason, reassure your kids that the move is a good decision and your family will benefit from it. This way you will reduce the stress your children might experience.
Do the research!
If you want to get your kids on the board, include them in the entire process. If you still need to buy a house, go house hunting with your children. They can voice their opinions about the future home, choose a room, have fun while looking for a home. This way, your kids might get excited about the move. In addition to this, you should do research about schools, parks, local area, and entertainment options. See if your kids can join some sports clubs, maybe they can attend foreign language courses where they can meet new friends. Lastly, you should visit your new home and neighborhood. Walk around, visit playgrounds and parks to see where they can play or walk a dog if you are moving with pets. This way, the new surroundings will not seem so unfamiliar once you move.
Get help when you need to move to Virginia
When you have small kids, you can forget about organizing a DIY move. You should get as much help as you can. First, start with professional moving services Baltimore. Next, ask your friends and family to look after your kids. When you start to pack you will have dozens of boxes lined around your house. Your kids can easily trip and break something. In addition to this, they can even get injured. In order to prevent unnecessary injuries, have someone look after your kids. You should pack the house when your children are asleep or at school. Also, you should not pack toys first. Leave packing toys for last since you can distract your kids with toys while you pack some other parts of your home. This is especially important if your kids are small.
Prepare yourself for packing
When you are moving with children to Virginia, you have to start moving and packing tasks on time. This does not mean a few weeks earlier, but a few months in advance. Relocating with kids takes twice as long. You have to take care of kids while organizing the move and working full time. For this reason, give yourself time to complete all the tasks. In addition to this, make a packing schedule. Gather all the necessary packing supplies. These include moving boxes, wrapping material, fillings, tape, and labels. You can always use a black marker and label the boxes. However, you can make labeling fun. Get stickers so your kids can label their boxes. If your children are bigger, as, in teenagers, they can be responsible for packing their rooms. Again, it is important to include your children in the moving preparations.
More moving tips
Here are some more moving tips.
- Declutter your home – you can use online yard sale and mom’s groups to sell your items. In addition to this, you can donate some of the items. This way, you will teach your kids about helping those less fortunate.
- Pack an essential box/bag – pack one or more bag where you should put all the necessary items such as the medication, change of clothes, toiletries, toys, electronic devices, and so on.
- Plan a few surprises – since your kids might be sad, you should cheer them by buying a toy, taking them to an amusement park, short trip, picnic, and similar.
- Say goodbye to neighbors and friends – organize a farewell party and invite all your friends and family.
- Give yourself and your kids time to adjust – it will take some time to feel comfortable in your new house.
Moving to Virginia with kids of different ages
It is not the same to move to Virginia with a toddler or with a teenager. For this reason, here is what you need to do.
- A preschool kid and a toddler – should be quite easy to move with small kids as they do not understand much. Just do not pack their toys and they will be happy.
- Schoolchildren – elementary kids are more or less ok with moving. It would be wise to move over the summer due to school.
- High school children or teenagers – the most problematic age group since teenagers are quite close to their friends. For this reason, help your kids to keep in touch with their friends, let them join a prom night, and other important school events.
Lastly, prepare birth certificates, reports cards, and medical records for the new school since you will have to enroll them.